Foods that Are Dangerous for Your Dog

Dog Eating Food Some pet owners see no harm in letting their furry friends enjoy a few scraps they might drop on the floor or leave on their plates. If truth be told, we tend in the same direction ourselves, at least emotionally. However, we do know better. Animal health experts from many disciplines warn that many of the foods that humans safely eat can prove dangerous to their dogs and cats. In fact, the following foods can have life-threatening consequences for certain domestic pets. For more information on foods and drinks that are unsafe for dogs to consume, consult your regular veterinarian, or one of our veterinarians in the north Dallas area.

Onion Hazards
Some people avoid onions because of their pungent smell. However, the effects that an onion plant can have on dogs go far beyond a distasteful scent. When a dog ingests an onion, garlic bulb, or shallot, he can suffer serious circulatory problems. These plants can negatively impact canine blood and put a dog’s life at risk. The problem is perhaps even worse for cats. All members of the onion and garlic family contain compounds that can seriously damage a cat’s red blood cells. Animal poisoning experts warn that the effects of onion ingestion may not manifest for several days. Should fatigue, weakness or darkened urine appear after possible exposure to onions, garlic or similar foods, see your veterinarian or an animal emergency clinic at once.

Chocolate Dangers
Chocolate is a favorite food of many humans, and as a result, many dog owners keep this sweet snack in their homes. That is why so many animal hospitals see animal poisoning due to chocolate. Though a delicious treat for people, chocolate is highly toxic to dogs, so owners should take care to keep this food far from the reach of their furry friends. If ingested, chocolate can cause dogs to suffer seizures, undergo bouts of vomiting, and experience dangerous temperature changes.

Bread Dough & Live Yeast Health Risks
Live yeast is a common ingredient in bread dough, because it allows breads to rise during the baking process. Yet, just as yeast organisms can multiply, grow and expand in bread, so too can they in the stomach of a dog – but there the effects can be devastating. Once in a dog’s stomach, this substance can prove incredibly painful for an animal as it continues to expand. Owners who suspect that their dogs have eaten even a small amount of live yeast should contact their veterinarian or an animal emergency clinic immediately.

Let Chastain Veterinary Medical Group help you keep your pet healthy and happy. We offer preventive pet health care services as well as diagnosis and treatment of animal accidents, illness and injury through our Meadow Brook Animal Hospital and Preston Road Animal Hospital locations. Call us today at (469) 759-7620 to schedule an appointment for your furry friend!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *