• Yet Another Dog Food Recall – Aflotoxin Issues Again

    The FDA has issued a press release announcing multiple product recalls, 
    involving a wide range of dog food products currently on retailer’s shelves or in the distributiuon pipeline. Once again the problem seems to be concerns over possible contamination with the mold by-product, Aflotoxin. PLEASE CHECK YOUR BRANDS AND SERIAL NUMBERS against the lists posted.

    More here at Z6Mag:  http://z6mag.com/featured/dog-food-recall-spreading-to-multiple-pet-food-brands-164078.html  and here at FDA itself :  http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm285240.htm


  • NYT reports Even Military Working Dogs signs of Combat Stress

    NYT report says up to 5% of Military Working Dogs deployed by American Combat Forces are affected with clinical signs resembling Post Traumatic Stress Disorder in soldiers. More Here:  http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/02/us/more-military-dogs-show-signs-of-combat-stress.html?_r=1

  • Holiday Office Hours at Chastain Veterinary Medical Group

    In honor of the Holiday Season, the Hospitals of the Chastain Veterinary Medical Group will be operating on a reduced schedule around Christmas and New Years. Please make note of these temporary changes:

    • Saturday, Decmber24, 2011: both hospitals – 8 AM to 12 noon
    • Sunday, December 25, 2011: both hospitals closed
    • Sunday, January 1, 2012: both hospitals closed
    • Monday, January 2, 2012: resume normal schedule at both locations


  • Happy Holidays From Your Friends at Chastain Veterinary Medical Group!

    We hope everyone has a happy and safe holiday!


  • Pet Safety at Christmas

    Christmas can be dangerous for your pets if you aren’t aware that certain common holiday decorations and treats can be poisonous to them. Fortunately, you and your pet can have a healthy and safe Christmas if you take a few precautions. 

    In this video, the speaker discusses holiday plants and treats that can be harmful to pets. While it’s customary to receive cookies, candies, and other goodies as gifts during the season, leaving them out where your pet can reach them is a dangerous idea, because many sweeteners in commercially baked goods are poisonous to both dogs and cats.   

    If your pet gets into something that it shouldn’t this holiday season, call Chastain Veterinary Medical Group.  We are here to help.  For more information, please call either Preston Road Animal Hospital in north Dallas at 877-296-5995 or call Meadow Brook Animal Hospital in McKinney at 972-439-1344 .

  • Does it make any difference what kind of bowl I use to feed my pet?

    Yes it does. Here are some things to think about when choosing food and water bowls

    Plastic. This is the most commonly used material for pet food bowls. Plastic pet food bowls are cheap, light-weight, colorful and available in a dizzying array of styles, heights, shapes and colors. Most plastic bowls are easy to clean and dishwasher safe. The downside to plastic bowls is that some pets will chew on them and destroy them, or bend them, or leave tooth-marks in the rim. It is also possible for food residue and harmful bacteria to build-up in the crevices of the chewed up rims. Some plastics also have an odd chemical odor to them, especially when new. Almost all plastic bowls tend to retain the odors of the foods put into them. Finally, a good number of dogs are actually allergic to the chemicals used to make plastic pet food bowls. Allergic dogs tend to develop sores and redness on their faces or chins when fed from plastic bowls. 

    Ceramic. Ceramic pet food bowls are available in many styles and colors. It should be fairly easy to find one that fits your particular style or décor. Ceramic pet food bowls are generally easy to clean, dishwasher safe, and non-allergenic. They are also heavier than a steel bowl of the same size so dogs are less likely to flip them over or push them around. The biggest drawback to ceramic is that they can chip and they will definitely shatter if dropped.

      Stainless Steel. These are the most practical pet food bowls. Stainless steel bowls are sturdy, dishwasher safe, non-allergenic, nearly indestructible and they last for years. It is important to match the bowl size to the dog:  some larger dogs or more aggressive eaters will pick up and shake smaller bowls for fun, or push them all around the floor trying to get food out. To avoid that, look for a larger bowl or one with a rubberized or weighted bottom area. One major drawback to stainless steel bowls is that they are not suitable for microwave use. 

    If you have any concerns about feeding your pet, please contact the Chastain Veterinary Medical Group – thats what we are here for: north Dallas,  972-239-1309 or McKinney, 972-29-5033


    Dog Eating

  • Bloomberg: Arrow Brand dog food recalled in LA and TX

  • Poinsettas, Pine Needles, and Tinsel Are Just A Few of the Dangers of Holiday Decor

    Most of us are aware of the danger with pets ingesting poinsettas but did you know that tinsel can cause intestinal blockage?  Pine needles can puncture holes in your pet’s intestines.  

    Read below to learn more on how to be safe this holiday season.

    * In addition to poinsettas, holly, mistletoe, and lilies are toxic to pets.

    * Snow globes often contain antifreeze, which is poisonous to pets.

    *Do not let pets drink the holiday tree water. Some may contain fertilizers, and stagnant tree water can harbor bacteria. Check labels for tree water preservatives and artificial snow, and buy only those that are nontoxic. Some folks use screens around trees to block access to electrical cords and gifts.

    * Do not let guests feed your pets human food. There are many holiday foods, including fatty meats, gravies, poultry skin, bones, chocolate and alcohol, that can cause illnesses from vomiting and diarrhea to highly serious pancreatitis and other toxic reactions. In addition, candy wrappers, aluminum foil pieces and ribbons can choke pets.

    Read more at:   http://www.pawrescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_HolidaySafety.php



  • Moldy Foods are Dangerous to Pets

    Moldy foods can be a real danger for pets. Nobody would imagine that a dog or cat would eat rotten, moldy foods… but they do. This is typically a scavenging behavior, often associated with dumpster diving or raiding the kitchen garbage can

    Moldy foods are just one of several nasty things that dogs and cats can find to eat in the garbage. But moldy foods are especially dangerous. Moldy foods may contain toxins called  tremorgenic mycotoxins,  such as penitrem-A and roquefortine C. When eaten, tremorgenic mycotoxins can cause muscle tremors, staggering, and convulsions that can last for several days. The symptoms can vary from mild to severe, depending on the particular strength of the mycotoxin ingested.

    Drs. Sue and Clint Chastain once had a Dalmatian that ate some moldy cream cheese around Thanksgiving one year. She survived but she seizure off and on for three straight days and needed intensive care to pull through.

    Testament of moldy food poisoning involve several days of hospitalization, induction of vomiting, activated charcoal, intravenous fluid therapy, anti-seizure medicines and general supportive care. There is no antidote. The goal is to keep the pet alive and comfortable until the toxins wear off in a few days.

    If you think your pet may gotten into the garbage and then begins to have convulsions, please contact us at once. We are all very familiar with this problem. You can find the Chastain Veterinary Medical Group on the web or you can call Meadow Brook Animal Hospital at 972-529-5033 or Preston Road Animal Hospital at 972 239-1309. 


    Dog in trash

  • Ever Wonder Where Chia Pets Come From? The San Diego Reader Has the Answer

    The SanDiego Reader has a curious piece on the Chia family of trees avaialble here:  http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2011/dec/28/where-chia-pets-came/