The Dangers of Chocolate for Your Dog

halloween dog

We’ve all heard that chocolate is poisonous to dogs, but most of us have no idea why.  If a dog can eat a sock without dying, then how can a chocolate Easter Bunny be a problem?  The answer to this question is complex, so read on to learn more about dogs and chocolate:

Chocolate Is Poisonous for Dogs: Dogs have a poisonous relationship with chocolate.  If your dog eats one chocolate candy, then he or she is unlikely to suffer any consequences.  However, if he eats more than that, then he or she is likely to become ill or even die.

One reason to avoid giving chocolate to dogs is that it isn’t chocolate itself that’s dangerous to dogs, but rather a chemical known as theobromine The amount of theobromine varies according to the kind of chocolate, which means that your dog could eat a lot more white chocolate than dark chocolate, for example.  You’ll never be able to accurately calculate how much theobromine is in any given treat, so you can’t safely feed it to your dog. 

Dogs Can Learn to Love Bits of Chocolate: In addition, if you let your dog have just a little bit of chocolate because that amount won’t hurt him or her, then you will have taught your dog to like chocolate—and dogs are not known for their restraint.  Your pet may try to get chocolate wherever he or she can find it and the consequences could be tragic.

If you have more questions about dogs and chocolate, then contact the Chastain Veterinary Medical Group.  We are dedicated to promoting pet wellness though our veterinary practice, and also offer pet boarding and grooming. For more information, call Preston Road Animal Hospital in north Dallas at 877-296-5995 or call Meadow Brook Animal Hospital in McKinney at 972-439-1344 .

 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *